Explore

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Spreading holiday cheer through doorbusters

Living in a border town and crossing that border daily has turned me into a very patient liner-upper. I rarely cringe at the sight of a line anymore and just look at these otherwise inconvenient events of life as chances to reflect and ponder the true meaning of our human existence.

Ok, not really, but I do use them for some much-needed down time for my brain and body. As this holiday season began with the snip snip of the Macy's ribbon, however, I began to realize the mounting excitement for every Canadian's favorite say of the year - Black Friday. (And yes, I did say every Canadian since something like 80% of us live within 20 mi. of the border. It was safe to generalize.) Since I find myself inconveniently on a class at 9 am on Friday mornings I was not able to join in the anarchal bliss of the biggest celebration of gluttony and greed in these 365 days and therefore find no joy in waiting in line among the sea of "Ontario - Yours to Discover" plates keeping me from sitting down to our American feast 15 minutes early. I suppose this traveler will just have to settle for some homemade excitement in the form of mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie this year. No nervous-excited feeling as I lay in wait in the parking lot of a nearby mall for the clock to strike 12 and the doors to fly open to the masses this year. Pick me up something cheap that I'll wake up tomorrow and realize I dont need, though!! My materialistic heart won't be content without some trophy from this celebration of the "survival of the fittest" (and thriftiest)!

No comments:

Post a Comment